Wednesday, January 5, 2011

"It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish."



Well, here we are, on the 5th day of January. And this is my second blog entry. Despite the fact that on January 2, I said my goal was to write every day, I'm going to be honest. This is the second time that I have written anything non-work or facebook related since the 2nd. In other words, I have already failed at my goal. And while I have good excuses for not writing for the past two days--and they really are good, I swear!--the fact of the matter is I really could and should have made more of an effort. Am I disappointed in myself for not writing? Yes. But I'm not going to beat myself up for it. Because let's face it, there are going to be those days. I am, however, going to make a more conscious effort every day to try and make time. I have to!

The title quote of this blog is from J.R.R. Tolkien, famous author of The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I have to say, it struck a chord with me, because it really is true. It's great to have an idea, and you can have every intention of taking that idea and doing something great with it. But until you get over yourself and your distractions and just START it, it's never going to get finished. I think sometimes it's fear that keeps us from moving forward, and sometimes it's just laziness. Either way, I've officially started this job and I'm seeing it through to the end.

Now, while my excuses for not writing are still excuses and don't really excuse my laziness, I'm going to lay them out anyway. Monday I went back to work, my first day back at the new job since right before Christmas. It was a good day, but it really is going to be difficult getting used to those early mornings (and more importantly, the early bedtimes) again. I haven't had to be up that early consistently since I was student teaching, and that was longer ago than I would like to admit. Upon getting home I collapsed on the couch with my wonderful husband and a few episodes of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills before heading out to have "wine & whine" with two of my favorite girls. After all of the drama and hooplah that the holidays and time with family inevitably brings, us girls needed a night to vent and laugh and just relax. It was a night of great friends, great food, and great wine (yes! There's a wine I like! Oh, sparkling almond, how I love thee...). It was a great way to kick off the week, I have to say. It really was a great night, and by the time I got home I was so full and tired that I crashed pretty much right after I got home.

Tuesday I was awake nice and early again, and off to work. It was another good day there. I'm gradually learning and being taught new things, and it will be nice when I know enough of what to do on my own that I'm not constantly asking for the next thing to do. That's always the hardest part of a new job or a new anything, I think. Those awkward first weeks when you're the new kid on the block and you feel like you're never going to learn all of this new stuff that everyone else seems to know like the back of their hand. But you gotta do what you gotta do, and I'm making my way through.

After the day job (I have a day job now!!) I headed to the library for my shift there. While the library makes for some VERY long days for me a couple days a week, I can't imagine giving it up. Aside from the fact that I would potentially like to be a librarian one day if I ever get my butt in gear and actually get myself enrolled in a Master's program, I really just love it there. The people I work with are great, and being in a library is just fun. I'm constantly bringing books and CDs home just because they catch my eye as I check them in, and as a result I always have too much to read, but also always something to recommend. Say what you will about my slacker ways with writing, but I can honestly say I read every single day. I'm the nerd sitting and reading on their lunch break, and I ALWAYS have a book in my purse. So really, the library is a perfect place for me. And again, the people are great. I feel really lucky to have gotten the job at the library I'm at. My brother and other friends of mine that work in libraries like their jobs but also have people that they work with that make their jobs just a little less enjoyable. I really like just about everyone that I work with. I have FUN at that job, and it makes the long days that much more bearable and worth it.

So yeah, I know, regardless of the long days I need to keep my promise to myself and really make the effort to write every day. And I really will try, even if it means a quick blog entry or a paragraph or two during my lunch break. No matter how hard it is to turn Castle off after one episode or refrain from the latest episode of Celebrity Rehab, I really will try. But for now? Looks like this entry is over, and Torchwood, a warm bed, and a husband are awaiting me. Goodnight!

No comments: