Wednesday, January 26, 2011

And I'm feelin' good...

Well, I have to say, I feel like I've been pretty productive today, for once. For the last few days, actually, I've been proud of myself. I managed to finally go grocery shopping on Saturday which meant Patrick and I have food in the house for the first time in a LONG time. As a result, I was actually able to cook dinner 3 whole night in a row. Did you see that? I said THREE!! And I was the one who cooked! That in and of itself was miraculous, if you know me at all. Granted, the meals I prepared were nothing too mind-blowing or fancy. But they were cooked by me, which is a big deal. I also discovered while making dinner on the 3rd night that Ore Ida Sweet Potato Fries are AWESOME. I mean it. I like them better than regular frozen fries. They rocked. And since they're made with sweet potatoes they're totally healthier, right? I think so.

In other self-improvement news this week, I have managed to finally pull out my WiiFit Plus again, for the first time since I bought it a few weeks ago. Since I've bought it I've told myself almost every day that I will come home from work, turn it on and do something to work out. And of course, every day I would come home and then....not work out. I would watch TV with Patrick or go out with friends or do pretty much ANYTHING else. On Monday, though, I told myself that there would be no more excuses. I was going to come home, do something on the WiiFit, cook dinner, and then do whatever. And I actually kept that promise to myself. I came home, got the Wii turned on and put together a workout routine. I learned that I suck at yoga, especially when the palm tree pose resulted in my falling off the wii board and into our coffee table. But, as my animated trainer says, with practice my muscles will strengthen and I will hopefully not crash into living room furniture anymore while doing yoga poses! I don't know if she's right, but I guess I can keep it up anyway.

I continued my trend today, also. I came home from work and went straight to my Wii, started a new routine, and then moved on with my night. I always have all of these excuses for not having time for things, but you know why? Because I tell myself I don't have the time when I just dont' want to MAKE the time. I get so wrapped up in the hundred things that I need or want to do that I just get overwhelmed and don't usually do ANY of them.

I've also been writing. I'm not going to lie and say I've actually managed to write every day like I originally promised. I actually have written next to nothing on the book that I claim to want to finish so badly. This weekend, though, I saw something that I think really gave me the motivation I needed. The thing that motivated me probably motivated me for the wrong reason, but regardless it made me realize that I really need to start proving how important finishing the book is to me. Writing is the one thing in my life that I am really passionate about. It's not always obvious, though, because I'm such a huge procrastinator. And without deadlines and the outside pressure of having to finish something I have a tendency to push it to the wayside. Or surf facebook instead of actually writing what I want to. But the truth of it is, I write because I love it. Because I love words, and I love the meanings and ideas and stories that those words can create. I love the feeling of creating something on the page. Sure, it would be awesome if my writing could help me earn a living one day. That would be the dream, to be a professional author. But when it comes down to it, I write because I love it. And my main goal isn't to become the next JK Rowling or write the next best seller-turned movie. It's really just to finish a book, to prove to myself that I can accomplish that. And therefore, I will. Sunday night, I pulled out my laptop, opened my story and started writing. I didn't get all that far, but I wrote. Monday night, after my workout, dinner and some TV time with Patrick I got on the computer again. I only managed to write a couple of sentences before bed beckoned, but I wrote. And tonight, I sat down and actually felt like I accomplished something.

It's days like this that really make me feel good about things. Sure, my life isn't exactly where I expected it to be or where I want it to be, but that's okay. I still have time to get there, even though I often feel like I'm running out of time. But if I can make the time for the things and the people that I love, then that's all that matters. Tonight was a night of simple pleasures. Pizza for dinner, some Castle on TV, some writing...all things that I love. Add to that, I'm currently chatting with my one of my best friends, who I don't get to see or talk to nearly enough, and listening to Guster, who have accompanied my writing all night and definitely helped keep my mood up. Nights like this even almost make me forget some of the worst parts of the day and week, which I was originally going to mention here. But really, why bring things down with the negativity that is bound to resurface on its own before too long anyway? Life is too short to focus on the negative when we don't have to, and I'm sure I'll be reminded of it before too long.

Thank you, dear readers (whoever you are) for tuning in to my self-indulgence. Hopefully next time I'll come up with something less ego-centric to write about. For now, bed is calling and a double awaits me for tomorrow. Good night!

2 comments:

Destiny said...

Congrats on the three days of food preparation, I am impressed! And major congrats on the writing! I know you have a book in you! And when you finish it and it gets published I'd better be in the acknowledgments! Lmao, not really though I do believe out of everyone I know (including myself) you will be the one to not only write a book but get it published and have it be a best seller made into a kick ass movie staring a total hottie!

Unknown said...

Janine - sounds like you've got some momentum going - keep it up! I'm loving your blogs and I can't wait to read your finished book when it gets published (and hopefully you'll let me have a sneak peek before it's published).